The family will enjoy these excellent FREE events at 4 beautiful locations run by the Exmoor National Park ranger service during the 2011 school holidays.
Learn bushcraft skills, build a woodland den, get your hands dirty on a conservation task or take a guided walk with a local expert. All events are free and open from 10am to 4pm. Car parking and toilet facilities provided.
Come and explore the moors on this free, all-day, family event. Opens 10am-4pm. Highlights include:
- Creative and Crafting activities with the Discover Wistlandpound team.
- Explore the moorland on a walking safari and spot the free-living Exmoor ponies.
- Try your tracking skills and learn about the countryside code on the Exmoor Beast Hunt.
- Guided walk down to Wimbleball Dam by the Southwest Lakes Trust
…and much more!
Wimbleball lake is rather famous, but Haddon Hill is a great area of moorland nearby that many visitors don’t know is there. Where is Haddon Hill?
All-terrain mobility buggies, called ‘Trampers’ are available for hire at the Haddon Hill Big Adventure. Please see flyer for details (below) or contact Countryside Mobility on 01392 456522 or 07540 72231, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.countrysidemobility.org
ASHCOMBE BIG ADVENTURE
Tuesday 31st May (Half Term holidays)
Another free, all-day family event, where you can discover woodland and moorland edge near the River Barle, at Simonsbath. This is right in the historic heart of Exmoor National Park. Event runs 10am-4pm.
- Nature games: learn about the natural environment and have fun in a series of games and activities.
- Get your hands dirty and develop your practical skills as you help a National Park Ranger restore a section of old stone wall.
- Take a tour of a fully restored 18th Century water-powered sawmill.
- Woodland treasure trail; follow the clues to claim your prize
.…and much more!
NUTCOMBE BOTTOM BIG ADVENTURE
Saturday 6th August (Start of Summer hols)
Take part in this celebration of International Year of Forest organised in conjunction with the Crown Estate. Event is free and opens 10am-4pm. Highlights include:
- Den building with a National Park Ranger.
- The Crown Estate forestry grand tour.
- Tall trees trail and adventure play ground.
- Meet Chris Sperring and his owl from the Hawk and Owl Trust
…and much more!
NORTH HILL BIG ADVENTURE
Saturday 27th August (end of Summer hols)
Discover the hidden history and get some fresh air on this
free, family all-day event. Highlights include:
- Prehistoric to the Present day; guided walks with a National
- Woodland mini-beast hunts.
- Get hands-on and help a National Park Ranger on a practical conservation task.
- Explore the Rugged Coast Path and enjoy the breathtaking views over to Wales and all along the Bristol Channel.